Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dark Knight Rises Trailer: Kid Friendly





The Dark Knight Rises trailer is almost perfect. A work of art in itself, with its quiet dramatic images that most film don’t even dream of achieving in a 2 hour movie, not 2 minutes. I watched it by myself on a 3 inch screen on my phone and was just as involved as I would have been on a big screen. I will be viewing it tomorrow night at Midnight during the Avengers, but I’m still just in awe of what I saw in the minute amount of time on my minute screen.

And yet, it was dark, at times I wondered if Batman was already dead and if it was Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s chin and not Christian Bale’s. I needed the constant reminder that this movie was in fact PG-13 as I saw Bane teasing Batman that he deserved a fantastic death. There’s not a single frame in that trailer that’s for kids, until the end. The ending is so distinct from the rest of the trailer and themes that it is as if it were from the Adam West original. The dialogue takes place as follows:

Catwoman: “My mother warned me about getting into cars with strange men.”
Batman: “This isn’t a car.”

Then they fly away in the Bat plane.

The bookend was most certainly provided by the studios as a reminder, despite the violence and the most certain death of the Cape Crusader, that you should feel free to bring your kids. 

And you know what, if I had kids I would, cause they need to see this, despite how violent and sad it will be, because it will be spectacular. I couldn’t think of a better way to ruin their innocence.


The Hollywood Defender

No comments:

Post a Comment